Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
As an affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Yes, it is totally safe to drink sparkling water with braces. However, you might want to take some precautions as drinking carbonated water regularly may increase your chances of tooth decay over time.
Below, I diver deeper into the matter and discuss some tips on how to drink sparkling water without damaging your braces.
Can You Drink Sparkling Water with Braces? Everything You Need to Know
You can drink sparkling water with braces as long as you take some precautions. As you may already be aware, sparkling water is water that has carbon dioxide dissolved in it, which makes it fizzy. Carbonated drinks in general have been linked with an increased risk of tooth decay and other dental problems.
The acidity in carbonated drinks can erode your enamel over time. This is especially true if you drink sparkling water regularly (or any carbonated beverage for that matter) and don’t brush your teeth often enough.
However, if you are mindful of the risks and take a few precautions, drinking sparkling water with braces is perfectly safe.
Will Sparkling water Damage my Braces?
While it depends on which type of braces you have on, for the most part, Sparkling water is safe to drink. If you have traditional braces with metal brackets and wires, then it’s best to avoid drinking carbonated beverages all together as they can cause staining and discoloration on your teeth.
It is important to note that the sparkling water may not directly the braces but it can be harmful to your teeth. How?
As I pointed out earlier, sparkling water is slightly acidic – it contains carbonic acid. Like any other acid, carbonic acid can be is corrosive to your enamel. This is especially true If you drink sparkling water regularly and don’t brush your teeth often enough.
The acid in carbonated drinks can also increase your risk of developing cavities and other dental problems down the line. So if you do choose to drink sparkling water with braces, it’s important that you are mindful of these risks and take steps to reduce them.
How to Drink Sparkling Water Safely with Braces
Here are a few tips on how to drink sparkling water safely with braces:
- Drink sparkling water in moderation. Just because it’s safe to drink doesn’t mean you should down can after can of bubbly goodness. Try to stick to one or two sparkling water drinks a day at most.
- Always brush your teeth after drinking sparkling water. This is especially important if you’re going to be eating anything afterward. Brushing your teeth will help remove any lingering acid and plaque that may have built up on your teeth from the drink.
- Use a straw when drinking sparkling water. This will help minimize the amount of contact the drink has with your teeth.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoride is a natural mineral that helps protect your teeth against acid erosion and cavities. Look for a toothpaste that contains fluoride and use it twice a day to get the best results.
- See your dentist regularly. Your dentist can help monitor your oral health and make sure that you’re taking the necessary precautions to protect your teeth from any damage.
As long as you take these precautions, drinking sparkling water with braces is perfectly safe. So go ahead and enjoy a nice cold drink of bubbly goodness – just be sure to brush your teeth afterward.
While you may not immediately see the effects of drinking sparkling water on your braces or teeth, it is important to take precautions and brush your teeth after drinking. You may also want to drink carbonated water in moderation to avoid any long-term damage. With a little bit of care, you can safely drink sparkling water with braces without any problems.
Please be careful and use at your own risk
None of the authors, contributors, administrators, or anyone else connected with Water Exotic, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.